Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that usually occurs when the body’s immune system mistakenly targets the inside joints lining of hands, wrists, and knees. RA can cause joints inflammation that may lead to the pain, swelling, and stiffness in and around the joints. If inflammation is not controlled properly, then there are more chances of causing joint deformity due to damage of cartilage, elastic tissues, and even the joint bones. So, if you are suffering from RA, then you can get treatment for rheumatoid arthritis from specialist doctor, Ludhiana, Punjab.
The exact cause of RA is still not clear. RA may occur due to a combination of hereditary and environmental factors. It can affect people of any age group, mostly occurs between 25 to 50 years of age with high prevalence in women than men.
There are four stages of the progress of symptoms:
- Pain and swelling due to Inflammation of the synovial membrane (Synovitis) inside the joint.
- A gradual decay of cartilage, joint capsule, and bone.
- Joints dislocation due to disturbed alignment along with visible deformities and muscle atrophy.
- Total restriction to the joint immobility due to the fusion of the joint.
If you are experiencing the same symptoms, then you can go to best rheumatology clinic in Ludhiana for treatment.
Early stages of RA symptoms can be difficult to diagnose as they mimic many other disease symptoms. Initially, a physical examination is done to check reflexes and muscle strength as well as any joints swelling, redness and warmth.
Blood tests are advised to confirm the presence of an inflammatory process, having an elevated erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) or C-reactive protein (CRP). Also, other common blood tests may be conducted to find rheumatoid factor and anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (CCP) antibodies.
Usually, X-rays of the affected joint regions has been conducted to track the progression of rheumatoid arthritis over time. Also, ultrasound or MRI tests can be performed to diagnose the severity of the disease.
It is always important for RA patient to take a suitable and right treatment as soon as possible. Best doctor for rheumatoid arthritis, is here to offer the best treatment for RA. You can go there.
Although, there is no cure for rheumatoid arthritis, still treatment need to be started early to relieve associated symptoms with strong medications such as disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs).
Medications are prescribed as per the duration and severity of symptoms.
- Usually, Over-the-counter Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are recommended to relieve pain and reduce inflammation. But in severe pain conditions, stronger NSAIDs or even Corticosteroid medications may be prescribed to reduce pain and inflammation to minimize joint damage.
- Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs) are prescribed to delay the progression of rheumatoid arthritis to save the joints and tissues from permanent damage.
- Also newer class of DMARDs such as biologic agents or biologic response modifiers, which can target various parts of the immune system to control inflammation and prevent joint & tissue damage.
Surgery can be considered if all medications fail to resolve the joint complications or damage. Surgery is performed for correcting joint deformities and restoring joint ability. RA surgery generally involves one or more of the following procedures:
- Total joint or knee replacement: This joint replacement surgery is performed to replace the damaged joint with a prosthesis made of plastic or metal.
- Synovectomy: This surgical procedure is performed to remove the inflamed synovium (lining of the joint) especially for knees, elbows, wrists, fingers and hips.
- Joint fusion: This procedure is performed when a joint replacement isn’t an ideal option. Surgical joint fusing helps to realign or stabilize a joint and for permanent pain relief.
- Tendon repair: During inflammation or joint damage, tendons around a joint may loosen or rupture, so tendon repair is performed.
If you are looking for Rheumatologist Doctor Near Rajguru Nagar, then Dr. Kathpal Arthritis and Rheumatology Center is here to offer you the best treatment.