SLE - Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
It is a chronic autoimmune disease that usually occurs when body’s immune system mistakenly attacks its own healthy tissues. It mainly affects the joints, skin, kidneys, brain, and other body organs. People suffering from this disease should seek treatment from Best SLE Specialist.
The exact cause of SLE is still unknown. Women are more commonly affected with SLE than men at any age. However, it occurs mostly between the ages of 15 to 44 years and more often affects Asians, African, and Americans than people from other races.
Potential symptoms of SLE
Symptoms of SLE can vary and change over time. In most people, SLE causes pain and swelling in joints such as the joints of the hands, fingers, wrists, and knees. Few people may also develop arthritis.
If a person has shown only skin symptoms, then it is known as discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE).
Risks and Complications
In some cases, abnormal deposits in the kidney cells may cause lupus nephritis or kidney failure. So, a patient may require dialysis or a kidney transplant.Most often SLE may be harmful to various body parts that include:
- Formation of blood clots in arteries and veins of the brain, lungs, legs, or intestines
- Destruction of RBCs causing chronic anemia disease
- Inflammation of the heart known as myocarditis or endocarditis and Fluid deposit around the heart tissues called as pericarditis
- Fluid deposit around the lung tissues may lead to tissue damage
- Pregnancy complications, including miscarriage
- Brain Stroke
- Extremely low blood platelet count
- Inflammation of the blood vessels
- SLE may harm an unborn child to cause a pregnancy complication.
Treatment and Symptoms Management
Still, there is no permanent treatment known for SLE. So, the basic aim of treatment is just to control the symptoms. However, a specialized treatment is required to control severe symptoms of heart, kidneys, lungs, and other organs.
Mild symptoms of SLE are treated with medications such as;
- NSAIDs are prescribed to control joint symptoms and pleurisy.
- In skin and arthritis problems, low doses of corticosteroids for e.g. prednisone are given.
SLE may affect every individual differently. A treatment is effective only when started as soon as symptoms develop on patient’s body or a doctor tailors it to the patient.
If you are also suffering from any of related SLE symptoms, then immediately consult with our specialist at Mediclinic. We offer advanced Systemic lupus erythematosus treatment in Ludhiana including joints and soft tissues problems, autoimmune diseases, vasculitis, and inheritable connective tissue disorders.